[Sugar-devel] [ASLO] Useful way to provide activity sources tarballs

Aleksey Lim alsroot at sugarlabs.org
Mon Sep 10 19:29:06 EDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 06:36:31PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > I'm remebering there was a talk about providing activity source
> > tarballs from ASLO. Right now, all development work in thie area
> > is being concentrated around Sugar Network[1] that is intended to be
> > a successor (at least on low level) of ASLO.
> >
> > This month I'm working on making full mirroring of ASLO activities on SN
> > and can implement such feature. It might look like that activity
> > developers won't take care about providing tarballs, only regular ASLO
> > upload (that will be supplement later by direct SN upload). SN will
> > automatically convert .xo into .tar.gz on demand.
>
> Why not just produce a standard tar ball. There are differences
> (although only small) between the two.

The idea is that activity developers should not take care about creating
tarballs on their own (and do not care about where to upload it), only
regular .xo upload.

But creating .tar.gz on server side makes sense only if people package
ASLO activities (except fructose, since making tarballs for Fructose
is a standard practice; but it sounds really overkill for all other
activities).

--
Aleksey