[Sugar-devel] Problems starting the XO

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 1 15:13:17 EDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-09-02 at 00:02 +0530, Ajay Garg wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
>         On Sat, 2012-09-01 at 10:27 +0530, Ajay Garg wrote:
>         > Hi all.
>         >
>         > I flashed an image on an XO-1, after building it from
>         osbuilder; and
>         > booted the machine. The process went fine.
>         >
>         > Therafter, I upgraded the "sugar" package, via
>         >                                                       "sudo
>         rpm
>         > --force --nodeps --upgrade sugar-0.94.1-31.dx3.rpm"
>         >
>         >

>         Why didn't you just build the image with the new rpm?
>
> Well, the code changes need to be tested on an XO first (as I said,
> that things work fine on the sugar-emulator).
> Only after the testing is passed on the XO, would the changes be
> comitted, (fresh) rpms generated to the repos, which would then be
> pulled into the image built from osbuilder.
>
> If there is a way to pull the rpms directly into the image, I will  be
> more than happy to do it. Please let me know if you have ideas
> regarding this :)

You could just add a custom repo to oob's ini file and point that at a
repo containing the your rpms.

>         Anyway, I got
>         burnt building a test image with the latest DX3 rpms, you
>         introduced a
>         change in sugar that requires a newer version of sugar-toolkit
>         but
>         sugar's "rpm Requires:" are not set in to enforce a minimum
>         version of
>         sugar-toolkit.
>
> Hmm.. my bad.
> But
>
>                * I guess sugar-toolkit (latest version) is also
> present in the repos, which should have been pulled.

If your pulling the rpms in from rpm-next[1] those are not the latest.
Ruben generated newer rpms but are not in rpm-next like in the past but
elsewhere[2]. Lets not guess, what version of sugar-toolkit is
installed?

>                * I think this is not the cause of the problem I am
> facing.

Then I think the code in your new rpm might be broken.

Jerry

1. http://download.sugarlabs.org/dextrose/testing/dx3/rpms-next/i386/os
2. http://build.activitycentral.com/dxbuilder/repo/i686/os/