[Sugar-devel] Problems starting the XO

Ajay Garg ajay at activitycentral.com
Sat Sep 1 12:25:16 EDT 2012

Thanks Chris and Mikus for the replies.

Well, I seem to have close down on the cause; but not close enough :(   The
solution is still not in sight.

I have been making some changes in the sugar-code, to have the "Transfer to
Many" feature working.
Things work fine on sugar-emulator; however, when I replace the files in
"src/jarabe/journal" folder on the XO, I fail to get the XO booting.

Now, the code is fairly big in amount; and it will take many days to
pin-point the issue (without any "log" info).
But one thing is sure, only when the files in "src/jarabe/journal" are
updated, does the XO fail to boot.

I tried one thing - I removed the directory "/home/olpc/.sugar", and
rebooted, but the XO still failed to boot.
One thing I did notice, is that on reboot, the directory
"/home/olpc/.sugar" gets re-created, with the journal re-indexed info; but
unfortunately, there still is NO "/home/olpc/.sugar/default/shell.log" :(

So, answers to the following two queries will help in nailing the issue ::

                                   a)
                                   Is it possible to (temporarily) stop the
re-indexing of the journal on reboot?
                                   If yes, that could give some hints as to
if this is where the problem occurs.

                                   b)
                                   Better still, is it possible to have
"shell.log" created as the first file after the directory
"/home/sugar/.sugar" is created?

Any further help will be highly appreciated :)

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay