[Sugar-devel] Write bundled with Sugar 0.97.8 fails to start and tells "Could not find any typelib for abi"

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 10:20:15 EDT 2012

On 31 October 2012 15:10, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I know it's not Write. But Write has an undocumented dependency on a
>> certain Abiword version plus not yet up streamed patches.That's very
>> developer unfriendly. How am I'm supposed to pull the sources and get it to
>> work? That normally doesn't require subscribing to a mailing list and
>> asking.
>>
>> Activities has an implicit dependency on the sugar platform. But we don't
>> have any good definition of what that platform is. I'm going to write  a
>> separate proposal about that, but, until the problem is solved, I think
>> documenting the Abiword dependency in Write is much better than nothing.
>>

> I agree. Just we are doing changes _right_now_ and with a lot of work to do
> in a fixed schedule.
> If anybody is interested in help solving bugs, I will be the first in help
> him,
> but sadly, nobody asked...

I know you guys are busy and I don't want to keep wasting your time
(in this discussion too!). Though let me just suggest that putting
links to the upstream bugs in a text file wouldn't take much time.
Using a separate branch/repo until the dependencies went upstream,
would have taken even less time.

The more people can easily build sugar and activities without pain,
the more help we will get, imho.

>> About the branch. According to
>>
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/GTK3/Porting#GIT_conventions
>>
>> "We've agreed that the GTK3 version should be in the master branch on
>> gitorious.sugarlabs.org. The GTK2 version should be in a branch called
>> gtk2."
>>

>> Is that changed? Otherwise can we please keep as much consistency as
>> possible? It's a bit of pain to find the branch you want for activities
>> right now.
>>

> I don't know why Walter added that, when we have a previously agreed
> convention in the same page:
>
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/GTK3/Porting#Preparation
>
> You know "standards are so good, than everybody want own one" :)

Haha, please let's pick a standard, it doesn't really matter which.