[Sugar-devel] Maliit 0.93.0 OSK language layout cycle key testing

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 30 09:04:20 EDT 2012

Hi Simon,

On 30 Oct 2012, at 12:00, "Simon (erikos) Schampijer" <simon at laptop.org> wrote:

> Excellent work everyone!!!
>
> On 10/30/2012 04:36 AM, Gary C Martin wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> I wasn't having much luck with yum upgrade seeing the arm versions on the XOs
>> here for testing yet, but I managed to find your arm build tonight at [1], and
>> installed the below rpms on an XO-4 for some quick testing of the new language
>> layout cycle key support:
>>
>> maliit-framework-0.93.0-1.fc18.armv7hl.rpm
>> maliit-framework-gtk2-0.93.0-1.fc18.armv7hl.rpm
>> maliit-framework-gtk3-0.93.0-1.fc18.armv7hl.rpm
>> maliit-plugins-0.93.0-1.fc18.armv7hl.rpm
>>
>> Wanted to quickly confirm that all is working well :) The language layout key
>> icon is rendering correctly on the keyboard (world map icon [3]); that the key
>> is cycling through the enabled layouts on each press; and once it reaches the
>> last enabled layout it loops back to the first layout.
>>
>> I can also confirm that the extended key fix [2] is correctly included.
>>
>> I am considering one small design change on these layouts, to swap the language
>> layout key with the ?123 key to the left, so that the language key is in the far
>> left keyboard corner. This will keep its position stable as you cycle through
>> different keyboard layouts allowing you can tap in the same location without
>> needing to visually check it might have shifted a little (the ?123 size can vary
>> on some layouts due to additional keys).
>>
>> I will re-test the OSK tomorrow on an XO-1.75 for checking portrait orientation
>> layouts (XO-4s don't yet have gfx support for screen rotation).
>>
>> Many (!) thanks must go to Michael (mikhas) for his Sunday maliit coding, patch,
>> and release, this was almost a lost feature for the 13.1.0 target!!
>>
>> Daniel: If possible we should try to enable two, perhaps three layouts in the
>> next test build so the feature can be more widely used/demoed/tested – keeping
>> in mind there is no existing way to hide this key if only one layout is enabled
>> (the key has no effect if only one language layout is enabled).
>
> Gary, the easiest for testing is to edit /home/olpc/.config/maliit.org/server.conf

Yes thanks for the reminder that this is the easiest place to tweak. I was previously using the maliit settings python example to enable all the layout's I've been working with.

> Here is an example I did you try as working fine: http://dev.laptop.org/attachment/ticket/12166/server.conf
>
> But maybe having by default (en, es, fr might be a good bet or going with more fancy ones to show off) is a good idea.

en_us, es and fr sound like fair candidates to enable to get the ball rolling :) It would also place enough config in ~/.config/maliit.org/server.conf so folks can more easily enable more layouts if needed.

Regards,
--Gary