[Sugar-devel] Purpose for Help Activity

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Tue Oct 16 09:34:10 EDT 2012

Hi,

What is the purpose of help? In Windows, help is a method to find out
how to accomplish a particular task using an application. It is not a
means to learn how to use the computer or Windows.

The Help activity is a specialized reader for the Floss (pdf) manuals.
Unfortunately, the text in the Floss manuals was written for experienced
computer users who were new to the XO and the Sugar.

I believe we need a Sugar activity to introduce the XO and Sugar to
those who have no prior computing experience. Further, we need to use
the 'learn to learn' approach we advocate for the XO, i.e. these
materials should be designed for experimentation (trial and error) and
collaborative learning. The beauty of the computer is that it provides
instant feedback on whether you did something 'right' or not.

I also believe that use of screenshots, screencasts and icons can reduce
the dependency of these materials on text. Another underutilized tool is
audio. If the text instructions were spoken, any deployment would be
able to provide the same instructions in the native language (the skill
needed would be a speaker of the native language who also knows
English). Incidentally, in deployments where English is a medium of
instruction, using both versions can help children learn English.

Tony