[Sugar-devel] Purpose for Help Activity

S. Daniel Francis francis at sugarlabs.org
Mon Oct 15 21:03:16 EDT 2012

Hi,

Looking at the Help activity, I see the following issues:
- It looks very orange. A more integrated style is needed.
- Activities should be documented independently of the help activity.

(Not very related with my purpose but important for deploy a solution)
- The documentation needs to be updated and Gonzalo told me about
there were efforts to update it. ¿Where are them?

Now I purpose some solutions:
- Using docbook.
Docbook is used by the GNOME documentation team and can be styled
easily with CSS.
- Save the documentation in each activity.
With that way, Help could scan each activity for documentation, that
documentation could depend of the installed version of each activity.
And documentation for non-core activities could be seen from the Help
activity.

Knowing that the Help isn't up to date, I only migrated the first
chapter for give you a preview of my purpose.

A screenshot:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Help-docbook-purpose.png

On the git repository:
http://git.sugarlabs.org/~danielf/help/help-docbook

For generate the HTML files I used the following command: (Already
generated in the repository)
$ yelp-build html -o ./help/ sources.xml

Warm regards,
Daniel Francis.