[Sugar-devel] Google code in

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 11:38:37 EDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Alexandro Colorado <jza at oooes.org> wrote:
> I was talking with Ignacio, a kid from Uruguay that hangs on #sugar
> and told him to sign in Code-In.
>
> He is excited, but I still wonder if OLPC/SugarLabs would be joining
> this effort.
>
> Right how he is working with Flavio D. on doing some ports to GTK3.

It is not entirely clear to me that Sugar Labs will be eligible.  I
read something that made it sound like all orgs were previous GSOC
winners, I am not 100% sure though.

I would encourage any of our eligible younger members to sign up as
individual participants.  They will need a note from their parents to
be able to take part.

http://www.google-melange.com/gci/document/show/gci_program/google/gci2012/terms_and_conditions

I don't think we have any one that will have an issue with this criteria.

 The Contest is not open to persons who are (1) residents of US
embargoed countries (Cuba, Iran, Myanmar (Burma), North Korea, Sudan,
or Syria), (2) ordinarily resident in such countries, or (3) otherwise
prohibited by applicable export controls and sanctions. The Contest is
also not open to residents of Brazil, Italy, Quebec, and Saudi Arabia.

Given how dependent Sugar Labs and OLPC are on the upstream software
stack, there are certain to be tasks for projects that will have
benefits that will flow downstream to us.

I first saw this on the Gnome Foundation list, it is not clear whether
they will be applying yet, but that would be a great example of an org
with tasks that could very directly help us, I'm sure our devs would
be more than happy to work with any individual participants to try to
identify orgs and tasks among those eventually posted by the
participating orgs that would also benefit the Sugar user community.

cjl