[Sugar-devel] How to enable spellchecking on Write Activity?

Coltivare Fiori coltivarefiori at connettivo.net
Thu Oct 11 08:37:13 EDT 2012

On 11/10/2012 12:09, Coltivare Fiori wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 22:56, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
>> We are porting Write to a newer version of abiword.
>> No more features will be developed in Write for sugar 0.96
>>
>> Gonzalo
>>

> OK, but do you think that the Abiword that you're working upon may have
> some "embedded" capabilities for spellchecking, or were they stripped
> off at some time? I do not mean an extended and interactive
> spellchecking, just something as simple as underlying words that are not
> found in the dictionary.
>
> Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this, this will help me make
> decisions.
>
> Ernesto

I went on trying to understand :-)

I did

	$ git://git.sugarlabs.org/write/mainline.git

then I did

	$ grep -Ri spell *

and I found something only in file keybindings.xml.

Then I did

	$ grep -Ri keybindings.xml *
and I got
AbiWordActivity.py:        keybindings_file =
os.path.join(get_bundle_path(), 'keybindings.xml')

If I go and look for the history of such a file I see

$ git log keybindings.xml
commit d782c76c9c246f3442e4c76a684caf87b7eaa827
Author: Marc Maurer <uwog at uwog.net>
Date:   Thu Oct 18 22:07:39 2007 +0200

    Added keybinding call and XML config file to Write activity (foddex)

It does not say very clearly :-) that that file is discarded and that I
am lost, so now I think there may still be a chance for hacking my copy
of Sugar as per
http://www.olpcnews.com/software/sugar/hacking_sugars_write_activity_to_support_spellchecking.html
and recompile (?) Write to see what happens.

Now I'm reading
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Team/Modifing_an_Activity :-))

Sugar is... addictive.

Ernesto