[Sugar-devel] About installing Sugar on a stick... with "--format"

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 9 11:25:39 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 13:01 +0200, Coltivare Fiori wrote:
> The first real problem that I found looking into Sugar was that I was
> not able to create a SoaS following the instructions at
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Linux
>
> This looks important to me, because I think that it is hard to imagine
> what Sugar is without seeing one running, and to have one run, the
> preferred way is a SoaS.
>
> I eventually solved my problems by using (with the USB key mounted) the
> "--format" option for livecd-iso-to-disk, like this
>
> /media/soas/LiveOS/livecd-iso-to-disk --reset-mbr --format
> --overlay-size-mb 500 --home-size-mb 800 --delete-home
> --unencrypted-home /path/to/Fedora-17-i686-Live-SoaS.iso /dev/sdX

Think if you use --delete-home you will always have a fresh new sugar
installation upon reboot, as the home directory will be will be
re-created. As a test can you boot SoaS set the name/color, do some
actions that write to the journal, then reboot and note if the journal
entries are preserved.

Jerry