[Sugar-devel] Gst1.0 plugins in sugar-build

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 17:08:09 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 10:01 PM, Manuel Kaufmann <humitos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to comment that there are many Gst 1.0 plugin decoders that
> are not built because of missing dependencies. I had to install
> "libmad-devel.x86_64" (on my F17) to be able to play MP3 files from
> Jukebox.

We've always been pretty cleat about not supporting non open codecs.
libmad isn't in mainline Fedora so it would be pulled from a third
party repo. I'm pretty sure that is the case with other distros as
well.

The advantage of gstreamer is you can add extra codecs easily by just
installing packages and without recompiling anything and the
functionality should just work without any changes in the application
so I'm not sure why it's a needed requirement.

Peter