[Sugar-devel] FR: Feature for a.sl.o: global filter by Sugar version

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 26 09:45:35 EST 2012

Hi Bastien,

On 26 Nov 2012, at 07:32, Bastien <bzg at laptop.org> wrote:

> Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn <alanjas at hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> supposedly.. when you navigate from Browse Activity, the searchs on
>> ASLO returns the latest for your sugar version..
>
> Good if it is really so.  Can someone confirm?

Yes, http://activities.sugarlabs.org (ASLO) picks up the browser client string from Browse that varies from Sugar release to Sugar release, and shows the latest Activity versions for that release of Sugar.  It does assume some steps are correctly taken when a developer uploads a new version, they have to set which Sugar versions their activity is compatible with, or an editor/reviewer needs to be on the ball with re-testing the activity later. ASLO is also not just for longterm Sugar developers to distribute activities, but also to allow other third party developers to share their work as well, so the quality/robustness of activity code/design can vary.

The area we most often get caught out in Sugar is that we don't have good architecture variation support – XO hardware was x86 based (XO-1 XO 1.5) and more recent models are now ARM based (XO-1.75, XO-4), if an activity developer decides to include binary code/libraries within an activity, it is down to them to make sure they include support for different architectures. This is why we try and encourage developers to develop Python activities, built for the agreed Sugar platform dependancies, as this avoids hardware architecture issues.

> Then maybe the compatibility info for each activity is often wrong.

If you have found one, please do let me know the activity name, version, the version of Sugar you tested, and what hardware type you were trying to get it to run on and I'll take a look and update the compatibility flags.

If you are downloading from a browser/device other than the Browse running on the XO you finally want to install the activity on, you can use the 'Advanced' search button on the main ASLO:

Regards,
--Gary