[Sugar-devel] Renaming the Telescope activity to Scope

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 23 12:11:21 EST 2012

Hi Jv,

On 23 Nov 2012, at 11:57, RJV <jv.ravichandran at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This looks like a great activity to me. I am unable to find what kind of telescopes (in India) can be used and help to this effect on the downloads page as a Readme would be very helpful.
>
> Has anybody used a physical telescope with this activity and what type? Thanks for any response.

Have a look at the learning resources pdf at:

    http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Moon#Learning_Resources

This covers research into a low cost monocular project that Telescope activity was originally aimed at. For Moon observing I have had fair success using a Brunton 10-30x21 monocular. It can be carefully held against the XO bezel over the camera, but that's quite hard work to keep everything still and pointed at the correct location ;) The above project uses a mounting bracket that attaches the monocular firmly to the XO so it is easier to aim. For imaging planets (e.g Jupiter/Saturn with moons) that monocular does not quite get enough light into the camera to show the moons, though I do have a light polluted sky here so you might manage better.

You might also like this shot Sameer Verma tweeted recently:

	https://twitter.com/sameerverma/status/271428793476980736/photo/1

Regards,
--Gary

P.S. I have a collection of Moon test images I should really go upload to the wiki soon...