[Sugar-devel] 2 points of Sugar Labs business

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 02:06:10 EST 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:25 PM, S. Daniel Francis
<francis at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> 2012/11/13 James Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com>:
>> What's the story with Python 3?  I seem to recall reading that Fedora would
>> stop shipping Python 2 and everything would break.
> Maybe you got confused with the recent update to GTK3.
>
> Python3 is a different command to Python2 and Sugar is still in Python
> 2. I'm working on a version of the Sugar toolkit in Python 3.
> At the moment Sugar isn't going to be migrated officially but
> activities could be made in Python3 if the toolkit is ported. The only
> difficulty is that I'm not sure if the OLPC builds include Python3 and
> the necessary libraries.

They don't currently but they are in the Fedora repos so they are just
a "yum install" away. gnome is making a big push to move over to
python3 for gnome 3.8. but I'm not sure that this has any impact for
sugar as one of the big things that makes it easier is gobject
introspection. I know in the move to gtk3 python3 was discussed and I
believe it was decided to move to gtk3 and introspection and then look
at python3 once the former was complete.

Peter