[Sugar-devel] [PROPOSAL] Opening a web page from another Activity/Application

S. Daniel Francis francis at sugarlabs.org
Sun Nov 11 12:31:56 EST 2012

Hello,
Today at the PyCon Uruguay, some developers were asking about "How can
they open a webpage through the Write Activity". And I'm working in a
solution for this because I think it's part of the standards a web
browser must can do.
I have a repository with a command which starts the Browse activity
and sets the URI in an environment variable.

I have a repository for the command [1]. Can be installed with the
same way as another Sugar component with make install.
It also needs a patch[2] for the Browse activity to read the
environment variable.

I could not set the configuration for set it as the default browser
when calling the function gtk.show_uri, the configuration file would
need to can be installable from my repository too.

Best regards,
Daniel.

[1] http://git.sugarlabs.org/browse-standarization/mainline
[2] http://people.sugarlabs.org/francis/0001-Show-an-URI-from-the-env.patch