[Sugar-devel] OwNet

Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn alanjas at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 2 18:00:40 EDT 2012

Sounds good..

From: mliptak at gmail.com
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 19:50:20 +0100
Subject: OwNet
To: devel at lists.laptop.org

Hi everyone,We are a group of students from the Slovak University of Technology. Last year we took part in an international competition called Imagine Cup. We created an application, called OwNet, that enables users with poor Internet connection browse the Web more effectively and even offline by providing a local proxy that intelligently caches and prefetches Web pages. It also contains some educational features, as it is intended for schools in Africa.

OwNet is currently being deployed in Kenya, at schools in Nanyuki and Voi. Because of the rules of the Imagine Cup competition, our application is implemented using Microsoft technologies. However, this year we are going to reimplement it using cross-platform technologies so that it can also be used under Linux.

Recently we came across the project OLPC. We find it very interesting and, if possible, we would like to contribute to the project. Could our application be somehow useful to OLPC? Possibly some parts could be integrated into the Sugar interface (e.g. intelligent caching, prefetching or educational features). Since we intend a full reimplementation, we could choose features based on your preference or suggestions.

We would really appreciate your feedback, questions or ideas.

You can also find more information about the project on our website:

http://ownet.fiit.stuba.sk/?l=uk

Thank you very much.

Cheers,the OwNet team