[Sugar-devel] Lists in foreign languages (was Port Gtk 3 (Chat.activity))

Sascha Silbe silbe at activitycentral.com
Tue May 29 09:41:00 EDT 2012

forster at ozonline.com.au writes:

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines#Use_the_common_language

+1

Like James I usually don't read non-English posts (with no English
translation included), though less because of concerns about the
accuracy of machine translation and more because my time is rather
limited. Judging whether a mail is "interesting" in any way is too hard
when it's written in a language I don't understand and translating it
first takes too much time.

> I would encourage those posting in a foreign language to include a
> Google Translate in the main language. I am not sure though, which
> should come first.

For translation between English and Spanish there's also the Open Source
software apertium [1], but the dictionary seems to be rather
limited. IIRC the automatic translation between #sugar and #sugar-es
(IRC) is based on this, so any improvement to the English↔Spanish
apertium dictionary would directly benefit #sugar-es users.

Sascha

[1] http://www.apertium.org
--
http://sascha.silbe.org/