[Sugar-devel] [support-gang] Clarifications: Help package a 3D activity

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Wed May 16 21:36:06 EDT 2012

On 05/16/2012 07:42 PM, James Cameron wrote:
> I think Sugar leans toward architecture independence in the .xo files,
> but it's something that could be raised again with Sugar Labs.

It should be feasible to "test before you run" -- but this Activity
includes a binary, and as far as I know ARM machine instructions are not
the same as x86 machine instructions -- and including TWO binaries (one
for each architecture) leads to ".xo bloat".

And, from my limited knowledge (I haven't kept up), the design for
Activities does NOT include a way for Activities to __test__ whether
dependent RPMs are provided by the runtime environment.  Dependencies
have traditionally been addressed by __including__ them in the .xo
package -- but that just means *more* architecture-dependent files.

mikus