[Sugar-devel] [Dextrose] Local server equivalent of "jabber.sugarlabs.org"

Aleksey Lim alsroot at sugarlabs.org
Fri Mar 30 00:13:30 EDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 06:25:05PM -0500, Rafael Ortiz wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org>wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 20:17 +0530, Ajay Garg wrote:
> > > Thanks Jerry ... :-)
> >
> > We also have an ejaberd instance running on sunjammer to provide
> > @sugarlabs.org jabber accounts (not for Sugar collaboration).
> >
> > Let me know what your experience with Prosody is, if it's substantially
> > better than ejabberd I'd like to switch.
> >

> I think aleksey has experimented with  this ? ie. Prosody vs Ejabberd.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Platform_Team/Server_Kit/Prosody

It works on jabber.sl.o. There are bunch of glitches in 0.90-94 related
to jabber. But until now, I'm tending to tkink that it is bugs/miss-using
in sugar shell code rather than issues related to jabber server.
For Harmonic Distribution-0.2 (next month), I'm planing to settle these
issues down for using it as a basis for Puno pilot distro.

I didn't compare ejaberd and prosody carefully, but one thing for sure,
with ejaberd instance for jabber.sl.o, I had to keep an eye on ejaberd
on weekly basis (taking into account that weekly cron job reset the
whole ejaberd db anyway, because ejaberd is becoming slow and taking more
memory for tmp users). With prosody, I just started it, and the
resources consumption is stable and low (cpu ~0-7, RES 200M max).

--
Aleksey