[Sugar-devel] Just learned about Mistery Meat Navigation

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Mar 20 19:37:04 EDT 2012

On 21.03.2012, at 00:16, C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
>> If you find non obvious icons, can report to try to improve.
>> May be adults have problems with icons, but kids don't,
>> just see a kid playing in any internet site.
>
> These icons become much more problematic on a touch screen, where there's no obvious way to get the text descriptions to pop up.
>  --scott

OTOH, on a web site, you just want to get results quickly, and then maybe never visit again. It's not worth learning what the icons mean, since they most likely are unique to that site. That's why using icons like in the video fails.

However, that is different than the icons you use everyday. Those are worth learning. Of course, the learning must be made possible, and hopefully enjoyable. But the gut reaction of "I as an adult can't figure it out at first glance, so it must be bad" isn't quite appropriate.

- Bert -