[Sugar-devel] New activities

Edward Mokurai Cherlin mokurai at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jun 28 21:13:04 EDT 2012

I am a member of two communities that have some interest in getting
their Free Software into Sugar.

One is the J programming language, a version of APL. The reason for
bringing it into Sugar is that IBM ran a project in the 1970s to allow
later Turing Award winner Ken Iverson to use it to teach arithmetic
starting in first grade.

The second is the Open Voting Consortium's voting software for an
auditable electronic ballot printing system, as opposed to the
unauditable, insecure, easily-hacked DREs (Direct Recording Electronic
voting machines) in widespread use after the 2000 hanging chad
debacle.

Our software people need a bit of assistance with the Sugar way of
doing things, and with packaging for Sugar(.xo) and for Linux (apt or
yum). Anybody who is interested can contact me offline.

I am also talking with people in the digital publications world about
new Free Software coming out. I will have more such packages to ask
about sometime in the near future.

--
Edward Mokurai (默雷/निशब्दगर्ज/نشبدگرج) Cherlin