[Sugar-devel] [sugar 0.96, NM 0.9 PATCH] sl#3727: Return cached secrets, present in 'settings' themselves.

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 12:53:42 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Samuel Greenfeld <greenfeld at laptop.org> wrote:
> I would pull back to the "Enterprise" scenario here and note there are APs
> and smarter networks which will temporarily blacklist if not ban a client
> device after repeated failed association attempts.

Yes, most WPA-Enterprise APs will do this, I think it's part of the
standard, although it might be part of the Auth side. Our office
network will block out the account for 30 mins after 3 failed attempts

> There also are networks (although somewhat rare) which change their
> passwords daily to ensure that only customers of a restaurant or similar
> establishment get wifi access.

Yes, a lot of corporate "guest" networks do this as well, although the
use of this in a sugar environment is likely not large.

> Is there a method to put this on a counter so we attempt to reassociate once
> with stored credentials and then prompt the user the second time?
>
> How does GNOME handle this?

It's variable. I find there's a bug in the gnome side somewhere too
where I get prompted for the first password after resume and if I
click OK it works fine so it seems NM doesn't always retrieve the
password from the keyring properly the first attempt.

Peter