[Sugar-devel] Sweets on Raspberry pi

Iain Brown Douglas iain at browndouglas.plus.com
Mon Jun 25 11:02:19 EDT 2012

Greetings,

I have been experimenting with sweets on a Raspberry pi running a
Debian
wheezy/sid clone (pisces) from www.raspbian.org

and written up my progress so far here:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit/sck/Advanced_Topics_ARM_RPi

According to top, CPU usage and Memory usage are fine and under control
in
tested activities.

The main cause of some heaviness *feels* like read-write to Journal,
and scrolling the F3 Home List view is a bit flaky, but generally the
graphics are quite snappy. This issue is not severe but requires a
little
more patience than usual.

I am using a class 4 SDHC card, if I can find a higher class I will try
it.

Before I started I was aware of this: "Due to the 23644010 bug in
python-hippocanvas package, you need to be stuck to python2.6"
mentioned
here:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Platform_Team/Guide/Sugar_via_Sweets#Debian

So I ran:
sudo ln -fs python2.6 /usr/bin/python && sudo sed -i
'/^default-version/s/python2../python2.6/'
/usr/share/python/debian_defaults

When I found the bug reported fixed, I undid it with

sudo ln -fs python2.7 /usr/bin/python && sudo sed -i
'/^default-version/s/python2../python2.7/'
/usr/share/python/debian_defaults

I have upgraded and dist-upgraded since, but I do not *know* if there
is a
risk python is corrupted in some way that would hold back dependencies.
Some hold-backs have been seen in aptitude, but I have slowly worked
them
in without any other problems.

Top of the list of things to fix is a browser.

Surf.activity v.115 Reports, Failed to start.
     ImportError: No module named webkit

Regarding webkit, these all exist,

libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev
gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-3.0
gir1.2-soup-2.4 gir1.2-webkit-3.0
libgtk-3-dev
libjavascriptcoregtk-3.0-dev
libsoup2.4-dev
libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev
libxml2-dev

Browse v.129 Reports, Failed to start.
     ImportError: No module named gnome

I have been working through issues on the web, but with the workings of
python, it feels like I am running out of clues. Any general pointers
would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Iain
aka inkyfingers.