[Sugar-devel] [REMINDER] Development team meeting --- 05. June 2012 (15:00 UTC)

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 09:15:34 EDT 2012

Just getting caught up after a week in Chachapoyas.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> Oups, it should have been the Tuesday the 5th!
>
> On 06/04/2012 06:08 PM, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> tomorrow we will have our weekly development team meeting after a few
>> weeks of absence, the topics will be:
>>
>> - introducing new contributors
>>
>> - celebrating 0.96 release, what is left to do?, where we do need help?
>>
>> - environments for development: jhbuild on F17, activity development
>> with F17+Sugar installed
>

> I have been talking a bit with Gonzalo about this, and there are actually 5
> areas we identified where we can improve:
>
> - developing an Activity on non XO platforms: I think having a nice guide
> how to do it in Fedora 17 with the sugar system installation would already
> be a big win
>
> - developing Sugar on non XO platforms: jhbuild is probably what we have to
> stick to, we should make sure it is running fine on Fedora 17 (see recent
> mails of developers having issues here), Marco took a simpler approach here:
> http://marcopg.org/2011/11/13/building-gtk3-sugar-on-fedora-16/
>
> - developing on Ubuntu (activities, sugar): there are many developers using
> Ubuntu and AFAIK we are still not up-to-date on Ubuntu, would be great to
> change that
>
> - developing Activities on the XO: maybe we should include git in the builds
> to start with (at least on the 1.5 and 1.75)? the rpm with the deps
> (perl-Error + perl-Git) is 3.2MB, installed 14MB, maybe it can be reduced as
> well with making some of the deps optional? There are still people dreaming
> of simple activity to develop and modify activities for the XO (several
> attempts have been made here)

Slight aside

In Amazonas last week, I had the teachers use the Duplicate feature to
clone an activity (in this specific case, Labyrinth) so that they
could fix a bug. They used JAMEdit to make their changes. What was
missing was git, so that they could create a patch (to submit
upstream) and/or create a new bundle for distribution. So +1 for
adding git to the Standard Sugar build.

> - developing Sugar on the XO: I did modify Marco's Makefile a bit to build
> on the XO and install in the system path, have to clean that up, but that
> work quite well at least for the toolkit and the artwork, the shell is a bit
> more tricky if you mess it up (but there are tricks with starting sugar from
> the xterm or in GNOME to work around that)

As per an early thread, it would be nice to be able to clone Sugar
(perhaps using the same View Source mechanism we have for activities)
and run the cloned version from ~/

The issue I never resolved is what to do when you have an error that
prevents the cloned version from launching.

regards.

-walter

>> Time: 05. June 2012 (15:00 UTC)
>> Place: #sugar-meeting (freenode)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Simon
>

> Gonzalo will be my partner in the future to run the meetings and take care
> of the Activity part. That way we hope as well to separate the load and the
> chances we won't have a meeting at all due to absence diminish greatly.
>
> As well we will be more strict in giving out action items, which we will
> track the status of in the following weeks (just to make sure nothing gets
> dropped without noticing). Thanks to Greg DeKoenigsberg for introducing me
> to that method.
>
> Regards,
>   Simon

Walter Bender