[Sugar-devel] Object Chooser (was Re: Etoys mp3 files)

Ajay Garg ajaygargnsit at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 01:25:02 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 2:50 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> On 04.06.2012, at 14:13, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
> > On 04.06.2012, at 13:43, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> >
> >> It's quite likely that Etoys doesn't implement its side of the
> >> essentially undocumented Object Chooser API of Sugar 0.84+ correctly. In
> >> particular, the object_id parameter of the ObjectChooserResponse signal
> >> will contain a) the data store object id (currently stored as property
> >> 'uid') for Journal objects or b) the full path to the file for entries
> >> stored on external storage media.
> >
> > That is indeed the first time I hear of that. Yes, Etoys expects the
> chooser's response to be an object_id as per documentation at
> >

> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Low-level_Activity_API#Choosing_Objects
> >
> > So you're saying that in the response, the second argument would more
> properly be named object_id_or_full_path. And to distinguish the two cases,
> we have to look at its first character: if it is '/' then it's a path,
> otherwise an object id.
>
> I now extended that documentation page with the object_id_or_full_path
> argument discussion.
>
> Also, I committed a fix for Etoys, will be in the next release.

Bert, thanks for the commit !!!!

Just wish to confirm, if the following hold true ::

a)
As mentioned in one of the earlier emails, 'get_properties' method needs to
succeed to open a journal/external-USB-drive object.
So, my query is : is the end-result just opening of the file (from
journal/external-USB-drive), or something more too ?

b)
If the answer to a) is "just opening the file", then I presume your commit
fixes/enhances the case of opening the file from external-USB-drive ?
(Sir, please don't take this as arrogance, I just wish to know the progress
in this regard).

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay