[Sugar-devel] Object Chooser (was Re: Etoys mp3 files)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Jun 4 08:13:56 EDT 2012

On 04.06.2012, at 13:43, Sascha Silbe wrote:

> It's quite likely that Etoys doesn't implement its side of the
> essentially undocumented Object Chooser API of Sugar 0.84+ correctly. In
> particular, the object_id parameter of the ObjectChooserResponse signal
> will contain a) the data store object id (currently stored as property
> 'uid') for Journal objects or b) the full path to the file for entries
> stored on external storage media.

That is indeed the first time I hear of that. Yes, Etoys expects the chooser's response to be an object_id as per documentation at

	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Low-level_Activity_API#Choosing_Objects

So you're saying that in the response, the second argument would more properly be named object_id_or_full_path. And to distinguish the two cases, we have to look at its first character: if it is '/' then it's a path, otherwise an object id.

Are there any other places in the API where instead of an object id we have to expect a full path instead?

- Bert -