[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Proposal: Multi-Selection and Batch Operations on Journal entries

Anish Mangal anish at activitycentral.com
Wed Jul 18 10:33:41 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 18 July 2012 07:56 PM, Ajay Garg wrote:
> Hi Samuel.
>
> Please find the replies inline.
>
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Samuel Greenfeld
> <greenfeld at laptop.org <mailto:greenfeld at laptop.org>> wrote:
>
> I see in the final screenshots that all of the selected items are
> deselected.
>
> Is this automatic, or does the user have to choose the "deselect
> all" button to do this?
>

> This is automatic (on the fly).
>

> Personally I would prefer if the checkboxes remain selected in the
> source view (if not an erase operation that removes the item).
> That would allow the user to do multiple actions (Copy then Erase
> for a "Move"), and confirm after the operation that they selected
> the items they intended to select.
>

> Well, the code is generic enough, and the above may be accomplished
> if there is a general consensus.
>
> However, the current flow (automatic de-selection), "helps" user to
> "not deselect" "explicitly", in the general case.
>
> I believe that copy-then-erase is a more of a special case, than a
> general one. For eg., copying-from-a-USB-pendrive-to-journal is
> more probable, than
> copying-from-a-USB-pendrive-to-journal-and-then-erasing-the-contents-of-USB-pendrive.
>

> It seems from these screenshots like we are trying to indicate
> copying progress by deselecting items as we copy them, and I do
> not know of another OS that does that.
>

> The workflow is ::
>
> (i) Operate on entry "x".
>
> (ii) Deselect the entry "x".
>
> (iii) Goto step (i)
>

> Also, it's good if Sugar tries to be different, as long as it does
> the right thing :P

I think I can offer one explanation why it now, the way it is.
Of-course, whether it's the right way to do things or needs to change,
needs to be determined by this design discussion.

During the initial stages of the development of this feature, the
select and deselect operations were quite slow, because every
select/deselect change was being written to the journal entry metadata.
This made it essential to show progress of both select/deselect as the
operation often took several seconds (in some cases minutes)

However, later the operation was sped up significantly to just a few
seconds even in case of many entries (because the select/deselect info
was just being stored in-memory). So this may very well be a remnant
of the way development for this feature took place.

Just my 2 cents.

Anish