[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Proposal: Multi-Selection and Batch Operations on Journal entries

Ajay Garg ajay at activitycentral.com
Wed Jul 18 10:26:48 EDT 2012

Hi Samuel.

Please find the replies inline.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Samuel Greenfeld <greenfeld at laptop.org>wrote:

> I see in the final screenshots that all of the selected items are
> deselected.
>
> Is this automatic, or does the user have to choose the "deselect all"
> button to do this?

This is automatic (on the fly).

> Personally I would prefer if the checkboxes remain selected in the source
> view (if not an erase operation that removes the item).  That would allow
> the user to do multiple actions (Copy then Erase for a "Move"), and confirm
> after the operation that they selected the items they intended to select.

Well, the code is generic enough, and the above may be accomplished if
there is a general consensus.

However, the current flow (automatic de-selection), "helps" user to "not
deselect" "explicitly", in the general case.

I believe that copy-then-erase is a more of a special case, than a general
one.
For eg., copying-from-a-USB-pendrive-to-journal is more probable, than
copying-from-a-USB-pendrive-to-journal-and-then-erasing-the-contents-of-USB-pendrive.

> It seems from these screenshots like we are trying to indicate copying
> progress by deselecting items as we copy them, and I do not know of another
> OS that does that.

The workflow is ::

(i)
Operate on entry "x".

(ii)
Deselect the entry "x".

(iii)
Goto step (i)

Also, it's good if Sugar tries to be different, as long as it does the
right thing :P

Regards,
Ajay