[Sugar-devel] Call for testing and feedback: alternative Journal implementation

Aleksey Lim alsroot at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jul 16 03:50:27 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 05:38:42PM +0200, Christophe Guéret wrote:
> Hi Aleksey,
>
> I've packaged redstore to SD:Factory repos
> > (
> > https://packages.sugarlabs.org/project/monitor?project=SweetsDistribution:Factory
> > )
> > the package is "redstore" that provides "redstore" command and
> > "redstored" init.d script.
>
> Great! Many thanks :)
>

> > I didn't make it autorun in case if you will use it in
> > the same way as Journal (and Sugar Network database), i.e., keep
> > database in ~/.sugar/<PROFILE> and start daemon from current user's
> > session.
> >
> Could you point me to an example on how to set this up?
> Currently I set the database system wide and start the daemon at boot time
> but switching to a user session would make sens.

For example, you can start/stop redstore from DBus service with pointing
it ~/.sugar/PROFILE directory.

> > btw, it might be useful to create SemanticXO package as well and make it
> > pluggable like it was done with Sugar Network (checkbox in "Sweets
> > Distribution" Control Panel component). i.e., it should regular DBus
> > service that provides the same Dbus API as sugar-datastore. If you will
> > do that, I think it will be possible to plug either sugar-datastore or
> > SemanticXO in runtime.
> >
> It is already the case, on my test machines I remove sugar-datastore to put
> the one provided by SemanticXO instead.
> That one uses the same DBUS API and service name. I will look into
> packaging it.

The idea is making theis switch as easy as possible for users, e.g.,
check-box from Control Panel. The way how it might be done is setting
XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable that points to new directory with
dbus-1/services/*.service files (it is how Sugar Shell from Sweets
Distribution runs sugar-datastore from /opt directrory), i.e., there is
no need in deleting original sugar-datastore.

Also, Sweets Distribution has Sugar Shell plugins in form of arbitrary
code in jarabe/plugins/ directory. If you think it is useful to have
SemanticXO plugin (w/ Control Panel component), plugins system might be
tweaked to handle things like setting environment variables.

--
Aleksey