[Sugar-devel] Call for testing and feedback: alternative Journal implementation

Christophe Guéret c.d.m.gueret at vu.nl
Mon Jul 2 11:38:42 EDT 2012

Hi Aleksey,

I've packaged redstore to SD:Factory repos
> (
> https://packages.sugarlabs.org/project/monitor?project=SweetsDistribution:Factory
> )
> the package is "redstore" that provides "redstore" command and
> "redstored" init.d script.

Great! Many thanks :)

> I didn't make it autorun in case if you will use it in
> the same way as Journal (and Sugar Network database), i.e., keep
> database in ~/.sugar/<PROFILE> and start daemon from current user's
> session.

Could you point me to an example on how to set this up?
Currently I set the database system wide and start the daemon at boot time
but switching to a user session would make sens.

> btw, it might be useful to create SemanticXO package as well and make it
> pluggable like it was done with Sugar Network (checkbox in "Sweets
> Distribution" Control Panel component). i.e., it should regular DBus
> service that provides the same Dbus API as sugar-datastore. If you will
> do that, I think it will be possible to plug either sugar-datastore or
> SemanticXO in runtime.

It is already the case, on my test machines I remove sugar-datastore to put
the one provided by SemanticXO instead.
That one uses the same DBUS API and service name. I will look into
packaging it.

I was slowed down on SemanticXO recently, I hope to be able to get back in
speed soon...

Christophe