[Sugar-devel] [REMINDER] Development team meeting --- 31. Jan 2012 (15:00 UTC)

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Jan 31 06:52:28 EST 2012

Hi,

today we will have our weekly development team meeting:

Time: 31. Jan 2012 (15:00 UTC)
Place: #sugar-meeting (freenode)

This week I want us to focus on the Features that needs merging/changes.
We have to land them today to make our release schedule [1], don't land
them or decide to delay the Feature and add it with an exception if we
find an agreement!

Another time I would like to ask all the Accepted Feature owners [2] to
update their pages before the meeting to reflect the current status.
Please update the completeness (100% means the Feature has been accepted
and merged by the maintainer). If your patch is under review, or a
design thread is open please add links in the 'Documentation' section
(90% would reflect that state I presume). Please be present as well in
the meeting to sort out any details.

The items that needs our attention are:

=== Gonzalo Odiard: Global Text to Speech ===
"When the user press Alt+Shift+S the currently selected text should be
said by the computer."

agreement on the design and on the general implementation. The major
open questions are (feel free to comment if I am missing any or if you
disagree about the ones noted):
- do we keep the shortcut Alt-Shift-s? [3]
- addition to the Palette API that is needed by the rework of the Palete
in GTK3 [4]

=== Walter Bender: Write to Journal anytime ===
"Replacement for the Naming Alert that lets you write to the Journal at
any time while working on an activity."

implementation from Walter that adds a Palette to the Activity
sub-toolbar [5]. The patch is under review, the following items are
currently open with this approach (feel free to comment if I am missing
any or if you disagree about the ones noted):
- what icon do we use for the Palette?
- do we remove the NamingAlert now (the question here is, does the new
functionality besides easing the note taking inside the activity fulfill
the 'reminder' functionality if no notes have been taking and/or no
title has been set that were provided by the NamingAlert?)
- is there still enough room for the export icons in the activity
sub-toolbar?

=== Sascha Silbe, Anish Mangal, Aleksey Lim: Proxy configuration ===
"To add a section in the Control Panel that allows the user to configure
network proxy settings."

which mimics the GNOME2 section. Several people have argued that it
should be better added to the Network section instead of having a
separate Proxy section (e.g. [8]). Mockups [9][10][11] and a
proof-of-concept patch [12] have been posted that do mimic the GNOME3
proxy setting and include it in the Network section. The following main
question is currently open for this feature (feel free to comment if I
am missing any or if you disagree about the ones noted):
- which path should we take now, add a separate Proxy section or include
it in the existing Network section? (if that decision is taken we can
sort out the rest)

Regards,
    Simon

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.96/Roadmap