[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] 3 Questions From A New Sugar User Age 21

Edward Mokurai Cherlin mokurai at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jan 26 18:50:45 EST 2012

On Thu, January 26, 2012 5:07 pm, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On 27 January 2012 08:55, Thomas C Gilliard <satellit at bendbroadband.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 01/26/2012 01:40 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:

>>> Is there a reason why this isn't exposed in the GUI? Maybe it can be a
>>> CP applet?
>>>
>>> I think this is a valuable feature.
>>>

>> Take a look at this new tutorial:
>>
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit/sck/liveinst
>>
>> It is listed here also along with some other tutorials:
>>
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_Creation_Kit#F16_Sugar_install_from_a_booted_Live_CD.2FUSB_with_liveinst
>
> Thanks.
>
> The problem, however, is that this is not easily discoverable. A
> newcomer shouldn't have to go searching through the wiki to find a way
> to install SoaS.

I have added a link to these instructions on the page
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Downloads, which is
transcluded on the page http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/
so that it will be easy to find in future. I also added a note about
what computers SoaS runs on, including Intel Macs.

> And using the terminal is not exactly a friendly
> introduction to the platform

But see Introduction to the Command Line (which I helped to write) at

http://en.flossmanuals.net/command-line/

It is, as far as I know, the first and only shell command line manual
for end users who do not plan to become sysadmins, and by far the
friendliest. We had a non-programmer editor make sure that we never
assumed too much, and that we kept to the proper tone and language. I
assembled a glossary of the unavoidable jargon.