[Sugar-devel] Free Terminal?

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Sat Jan 7 04:30:08 EST 2012

Understood.  None of these valid concerns sound like reasons to obfuscate
it - obfuscation doesn't solve the problem Sean mentions.

For instance,  you could have a version of terminal that let you explore
but didn't let you write anything to disk; until you toggled a menu
preference.

At present a number of commonly-used XO recipes start with "find the
Terminal activity" or, less safe yet, tell users how to pull up the root
shell.

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 4:51 AM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:

> The first time I found & opened Terminal, I did an ls and saw that
> there were comands prefaced with "sugar". I ran one out of curiosity,
> and wiped out the Journal, which taught me the valuable lesson that
> tinkering with the command line could destroy the environment...
>
> Sean
>

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Terminal is currently hidden by default on many builds.  How about
> unhiding
> >> it or replacing it with an activity that offers more of an intro to the
> >> command line?
> >> It is an important tool for understanding how your computer works.
> >
> > But it is also an _advanced_ tool, and a dangerous tool.
> >
> > It breaks one of the core principles of Sugar -- it is easy to _break_
> > stuff. So it is fitting that it sits a bit hidden. Just like your
> > swiss knife has the sharp blades folded in while in your pocket.
> >
> > cheers,

> > --
> >  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
> >  martin at laptop.org -- Software Architect - OLPC
> >  - ask interesting questions
> >  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
> >  - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529
4266