[Sugar-devel] [Testing] Fedora Sugar Test Day - Test case content, location

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Sat Feb 18 17:58:09 EST 2012

There are a few things I think need to be clarified:

   1. What are we looking as a community to get out of this Fedora Test Day
   event?
   2. What is the purpose of a "test case" and/or "test plan"?  How
   detailed should they be?  Presuming we want them, how should they be stored
   in general, and for this particular scenario?

For #1, I disagree that having users start out for this occasion by
learning how to use Sugar on their own is appropriate for a few reasons:

   - The amount of time that any given tester will be available to help us
   out likely is limited.   Time spent doing discovery will not be spent on
   other tasks.
   - Not everyone will start at the same time.  Perhaps calling this a
   "Test Day" is a misnomer because there is no guarantee that testers will be
   in the time zone or country.
   - Sugar is a relatively stable platform with a few known recurring UI
   disputes.  It is not Nell, the Helicopter experiment, or another one where
   the user interface could potentially require major changes.

With this test day, my personal view is that we need to get feedback
verifying basic Sugar and activity functionality in Fedora.  When Peter
Robinson, Kalpa Welivitigoda, or someone else updates a Sugar software
package in Fedora, these packages often go through the verification process
without a single person commenting on if the proposed update worked or not.

Mind you, usage feedback is appreciated; but is more of a secondary concern
to me.  Fedora had "Fit and Finish" test days during Fedora 12 cycle where
they asked for general usage feedback; perhaps we can propose that they do
another round of those aimed at the various desktop environments with
Fedora 18.

For #2, I have used similar test templates to the the New Zealand's to
verify activities in the past, and was thinking of making one available in
this case.   Translating one into a Wiki template would make it
straightforward to clarify which activities support sharing, webcam usage,
etc.

The reason I am interested in maintaining test cases with a system to keep
a historical log of who did what when is because I want to be able to
parallelize tasks.  Although I recognize I could be more efficient, there
simply is too much material in Sugar and the XO platform for one person to
focus on.  And yet I get regularly asked "do you remember bug #123" or
"when was the last time someone looked at Q"?

I am not looking for detailed test cases to the point of listing which
buttons to click when; but rather simple ones like "Does it install?" and
"Can it open a saved document?".

Fedora takes a curious approach to this in that they write a series of test
cases which could be parallelized, but then offer to have everyone run the
same set of test cases.  And usually, pretty much everyone runs most of the
available items.

For comparison, look at the last GNOME 3 test day (
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-04-21_GNOME3_Final) versus the
last Sugar one (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-08-19_Sugar).

I'm open to taking suggestions back to the Fedora Testing mailing list if
someone has an idea on how we could do things better, but I'm trying to
avoid cross-posting too much.   We could also inquire on the Fedora QA
mailing list as to who might participate and what their skill levels are so
we can better tune our approach.