[Sugar-devel] Fedora Sugar Test Day - Test case content, location

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Thu Feb 16 14:36:32 EST 2012

On March 22 there will be a Sugar test day for Fedora 17.  This means that
the Fedora community in general will be gathering to look at Sugar and see
what issues we have close to the end of the Sugar 0.96 cycle.

To help keep track of what was found and tell people where to look, we
ideally should have test cases for the volunteers willing to help us that
day that may be unfamiliar with Sugar.  But the first question I have is
where these test cases should be hosted.

Historically OLPC has tried to use their wiki with some semantic markup to
store test cases & results for both the XO and Sugar.  But this setup is
not easily searched, is prone to caching old information unless the Wiki
pages are "purged", and can get confusing if you have to support later test
plans and/or updated test case versions.

Fedora also stores test cases in their Wiki, and links them to packages in
Bodhi to help in verification.  They take a simpler approach to their Wiki
design than what OLPC uses.   Fedora supposedly was to move to a test case
management system called Nitrate to match Red Hat, but to date this has not
happened.

A year or so ago I had a wild idea to create a system where test cases and
results could be exchanged so Ubuntu users could see how a program worked
in Fedora, what upstream saw, etc.  But this has yet to materialize beyond
a few sketches.

So we need to come up with a location & design that has a set of test cases
& results that everyone (including Ubuntu, etc.) can consider authoritative
& up-to-date for testing Sugar, and ideally support test cases for XO
hardware, the school server, etc. as well.

---
SJG