[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Browse PDF handling

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Wed Feb 15 09:49:05 EST 2012

Hi Anish,

El día 14 de febrero de 2012 13:30, Anish Mangal <anish at sugarlabs.org> escribió:
> Hi Manuel,
>
> I think (as I pointed out in todays development meetings[1]), that
> this proposed behavior is somewhat of a regression (over browse 129
> atleast)
>
> In v129 to view a pdf, I first have to save it to the journal, which
> it might be seen an impediment to have to save content before viewing
> it, its useful in places with intermittent network connectivity. Sugar
> in general follows the principle of saving everything being worked
> upon to the journal as well (automatically in the background).

The intermittent network connectivity is not a problem here, because
the PDF is stored in a temporary file, and then stored in the Journal
from there, no need to download it twice, is the same as before.

What this feature tries to solve is 1. unneeded journal entries, and
2. a better experience for the user.  The user may not know if the PDF
document she's visiting is useful for her.  So she does a quick look,
and if she like it, saves to journal.  She does this without the need
to switch activities.

> With this proposed change, we will be opening pdfs in new tabs, but
> they will not be saved anywhere by default: not in the browse activity
> instance and not as a journal entry. The kid will explicitly have to
> save the journal entry by clicking on the button.
>
> The counter argument to this is that browse does the same with
> webpages (i.e., their content is not saved). If you dont have internet
> connectivity and try to open the browse activity, those pages wont
> load. While I consider this to be a usability issue as well (though
> not pertinent to the current proposal), I think of pdf's to be
> inherently different from webpages, especially considering that kids
> would be reading educational content in those pdf's.
>
> [1] http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/sugar-meeting/meetings/2012-02-14T15:01:40#i_2721325
>
> 2012/2/3 Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org>:
>> El día 2 de febrero de 2012 10:05, Samuel Greenfeld
>> <greenfeld at laptop.org> escribió:
>>> Something to watch out for is that many websites already like to open a
>>> separate tab or window for PDF documents, sometimes via Javascript and
>>> sometimes by setting the target frame/window.
>>>
>>> Sometimes these sites directly link the PDF file; other times they attempt
>>> to include it inline.
>>>
>>> If we intend to support tabbed browsing, these behaviors could result in an
>>> "unused" tab being opened besides the one showing the document.
>>
>> Interesting Sam.  I will look for sites doing that, for testing.
>>
>> --
>> .. manuq ..
>
> Cheers,
> Anish