[Sugar-devel] [support-gang] Yama First impressions, OLPC OS 13.1 31018

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sun Dec 16 08:33:34 EST 2012

Hi Yama,

Thanks a lot for the feedback - all very useful.
Focusing mainly on the items where a quick answer is possible:

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Yama Ploskonka <yamaplos at gmail.com> wrote:
> *Sugar GUI*
> Terminal is hidden again.
> If someone /deserves/ Terminal privileges, they can learn how to get it, so
> it's OK

Terminal isn't in the favourites view by default - thats indeed
correct, but it's been like that for at least 2 years now, probably
longer. This is easily overrideable by deployments if they wish.

> 2) "Mayan numbers" for the Mesh Network was announced many times, but AFAIK
> never implemented.
> Mesh icons are still undistinguishable from each other

The mayan numbers are used for the ad-hoc network points used on
XO-1.5 and newer. These networks behave differently from the mesh, so
the visual difference does make some sense.
The XO-1 mesh icons could indeed do with some love.

> Bottom line, after just a first look, Sugar doesn't seem improved, but Gnome
> is much, much better than it ever was (even "good desktop Gnome" OS versions
> used to have issues with the files I need)

Yes, Sugar has not heavily changed for existing laptop users this time
around. My first stab at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.1.0 gives some indication
of where our efforts have been: touchscreen usability and XO-4
hardware. However, old platforms are not forgotten, and hopefully
we'll be back to a broader ranging set of improvements for the next
release.

Daniel