[Sugar-devel] Porting to GSettings and XDG directories

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 05:55:32 EST 2012

Hello,

after we branch and the patches I already sent lands, I would like to
port sugar to use GSettings and XDG home directories. Here is what I
have in mind right now, after a quick initial investigation.

* Port glucose to use GSettings.
* Port browse and read to use GSettings.
* Hopefully activity maintainers will port the rest of the activities?
Should not be much work but a bit tricky.
    * If they used their own keys, stuff will keep working as long as
we keep GConf as a dependency. Though the system wide
gsettings-data-convert configuration will need to be updated when they
port.
    * If they tried to get the sugar keys (like buddy color) instead
of going through sugar.profile, they will get outdated settings until
they port.
* Port glucose to use g_get_user_* instead of env.get_profile_path
* Remove env.get_profile_path. It should not have been used outside
glucose (right??).
* Remove support for multiple profiles. sugar-build is already
providing it on the base of xdg directories and it's a developer only
feature afaik.
* Write a sugar-data-convert script, executed at startup, which moves
the files/directories to the new paths and runs
gsettings-data-convert.

Suggestions welcome!

--
Daniel Narvaez