[Sugar-devel] Overclocking XO / General Protection Exeption

Dominik Granada dgranada at frks.pl
Wed Dec 5 04:16:56 EST 2012

Guys I need help / advice,

I have a problem with "General Protection Exception" on XO 1 it seems to be related to overclocking:

We have 30 XO from Peter (UK firends of OLPC) - no problem with those, after introducing DevKey and disabling-security we can flash XO with our version of Dex3/143 that includes overclocking and it works.

Surprisingly 10 XO we got thanks to Urs from OLPC Switzerland after flashing - crash with "General Protection Exception" notice. It seems to be related to overclocking. (as once turned off all works fine)

Any idea whether there is some more security we can turn off? (apart form Devkey / disable-security)

below info from my IT team:

when adding commands from ok prompt:

ok 4c000014
ok rdmsr
ok u.
ok u.
ok 65d
ok wrmsr
ok boot

works overclocked fine

but adding a line:

7de009e 65d 4c000014 wrmsr

to file /boot/olpc.fth

makes our image crash. Boot from separate olpc.fth file from usb doesn not work either. It works only when clock set to 433/166

Many thanks for any hints / advice
DG

Dominik Granada
Prezes Zarządu