[Sugar-devel] activity sandbox

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Wed Aug 29 11:22:59 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:01 PM, blekros sugar <blekros.sugar at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks, I'll check out the documentation and get up to speed a little
> more.  Meantime --
>
> I just want to make sure I understand:
>
> 1.   Sugar activities *are* Python scripts -- but they use Linux-specific
> packages, instead of using os.* or sys.* packages, which wrap the OS that
> lies beneath.   Same for GTK+.  The GUI cannot be made to use ported
> versions of the GTK+ API.

Are python scripts, but use a few python specific stuff, like dbus, and
sugar specific services, like the journal or the collaboration stuff.

> 2.  The Sugar shell is not a service layer between the bare metal Linux OS
> and Sugar presentation (its "desktop") .  In other words, the shell cannot
> be updated to plug into to modern device OSes such as I/Pad or Android.

The Sugar shell is a service layer. Can be ported, but is not a trivial
task.
And maintain a more abstract service layer will add cost, that is the
reason was not done.

> 3.  No one has attempted to port Activities, i.e. the FUN stuff,  to
> Browser apps (HTML 5 + Javascript) so any kid with a smart phone could play
> with, say, Physics, or Turtle.

Porting from python to html + javascript, is like... start again from zero
:)
You can do it, of course.

Gonzalo