[Sugar-devel] [Design] On Screen Keyboard – part of the 'get Sugar touch ready' feature set

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 26 08:04:49 EDT 2012

Hi Chris,

On 23 Aug 2012, at 19:45, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> it. :-).  I don't expect it to be tuned to re-training fossils like
> me, but at the agile minds and fingers of kids.
>
>>> I've got lots of other questions, but they are more i18n related, so
>>> I'll forego inserting them into this design thread,
>>
>> No, bring them up here if they are OSK related!
>
> Ok, you asked for it :-)
>
>>> Is there currently a mechanism for re-creating the many xkb-based
>>> layouts already designed for OLPC that never got silkscreened?
>>>
>>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Keyboard_layouts
>>
>> No, those are physical layouts not designed for OSK. There about 40 existing maliit layouts that I'll update to match our OSK design modifications. And then I'd imagine we will want to closely check the OSK layouts for the languages we prioritise, and make sure they cover our needs (the existing OLPC layouts will be a useful reference).
>>

> Getting the existing OLPC xkb designs recreated is going to be pretty
> important once the existing Maliit layouts are adapted.  It's also
> going to be a repetitive task (see attached spreadsheet), I'm
> wondering if there are hackerish methods for assisting in that task
> (scripts, spreadsheet templates, etc.)?  Even the list of OLPC xkb
> layouts in my spreadsheet is incomplete, for example, I know of a
> layout for an Inuktitut variant that Walter helped some Canadians
> design.
>
> Generating some local documentation on de novo Maliit keyboard design
> is going to pretty important as I can easily imagine getting asked a
> lot of questions about this that can no longer be put off with, "well,
> first you make a silkscreen in a factory in China. . . "
>
> I'd love to be able to do more for new languages than say go look at
> https://wiki.maliit.org/Documentation and let me know when you've
> figured out their process.  Sugar Labs is, by it's nature, an entry
> point for languages under-represented in ICT and we already do a lot
> of stuff (like glibc locale design assistance) in support of  these
> language communities.
>

> Language switching:
> So, with the "language switch key" you can toggle through a stack of
> keyboards that you've configured in the Control Panel (in advance).
> All by itself, that would be awesome and really enhance multilingual /
> multi-script input.
>
> This more-or-less implements the Language key already found on Arabic
> and Thai OLPC keyboards, but does so for all keyboards.
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Keyboard#Special_Keys
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Arabic_Keyboard
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/File:Key_arabic.jpg
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Thai_Keyboard
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/File:Key_thai.jpg
>
> This also seems to be necessary, but not sufficient, for the utopian
> ideal of toggling through UI languages / glibc locales on-the-fly
> (without going to Control Panel and rebooting).  How far away is such
> a promised land once we have keyboard switching?

FWIW, I've added the output to the discussion page from Maliit listing the language files in a little more detail. I'll put up screenshots of the layouts once I'm a little further along with the style/layout changes (I need to do this as part of my layout change testing anyway):

	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User_talk:Garycmartin/Maliit

Regards,
--Gary