[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Examples objects support for activities.

Martin Abente martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 14:17:40 EDT 2012

The design I implemented works like this:

a. activity developers or deployments add a new "examples" folder inside
the activity bundle with their examples objects.
b. when the activity starts, the example folder will be accessible through
the journal as new volume option, and also from __any__ ObjectChooser.
c. Only one volume button will be shown, even when many instances of the
activity are running.
d. The example folder will disappear from the journal when the last
instance is closed.

Notes I took from the discussion @ #sugar-meeting. (garymartin, gonzalo_,
tch___)

1. Example folders visible from journal.
**pros: (a) it does not require changing the activities at all. (b)
Possibility to access bundle files (?).
**cons: since these folders are only visible when the activity is opened,
it could be confusing when another instance of the activity is opened from
these journal examples.

2. Showing all activities examples folders from any ObjectChooser.
**cons: examples folders should be private.

3. Showing examples on the home menu activities palette.
**cons: it would limit the number of examples, in order to avoid visual
spam (?).

Partial conclusion: (a) do not show the examples folders in the journal,
(b) only show examples for the activity that opened the ObjectChooser.

Waiting for more feedback... :)