[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] higher-resolution thumbnails

Sascha Silbe silbe at activitycentral.com
Tue Aug 21 10:56:34 EDT 2012

Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com> writes:

> +1 though this is raises the question of what resolution would be good
> enough. Ideally we would store images at the full display resolution,
> and try to minimise the storage space tradeoff by being more
> aggressive on compression.

+1 on storing in native display size. Folks with larger screens tend to
have more permanent storage space, making the proportional increase in
overhead less of an issue. The XO case is going to be the most
interesting one in terms of storage overhead. I'm less enthusiastic
about using lossy compression, however, especially since the goal was to
be able to read the text in the screen shot. Most (all?) lossy
compression algorithms are ill-suited for images with high contrast
(e.g. text).

Before we go for additional API to ask activities for previews (that
would involve starting at least some part of the activity for Journal
operations), we should ask deployments for statistics about data store
entry sizes. I'm having a feeling an increase in storage overhead by a
fixed amount is less of an issue.

Sascha
--
http://sascha.silbe.org/