[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] unfocus search entries in Views and the Journal

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Tue Aug 21 05:39:42 EDT 2012

On 08/21/2012 11:10 AM, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> writes:
>
>> I would suggest the following new behavior:
>>
>> - the entry is unfocused by default, the canvas is focused
>>
>> - the entry contains a hint (e.g. "Search in your Journal..."), adding a
>> placeholder text is available in GTK+3.2 [2]
>>
>> - when the user starts typing the entry is focused automatically
>> (listening on the canvas and switching focus)
>
> How will this interact with accessibility tools? Will they recognise
> that text can be entered even though the entry isn't focused

I don't know how the accessibility tools do their tracking. If they
check if the widget who has focus allows text to be entered, then no, I
don't think they will recognise (see the test program attached in this
thread).

and will
> they send keystrokes that get redirected to the search entry?
>
> Sascha

After hitting a key stroke the search entry gets the focus. So the
keystrokes will get directly to that widget.

Simon