[Sugar-devel] Testing Rotate in sugar-jhbuild

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 20 12:25:12 EDT 2012

Hi Walter,

On 20 Aug 2012, at 00:57, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Walter,
>>

>> On 16 Aug 2012, at 16:53, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
>>
>> In anybody want test how activities work with the screen rotated in
>>
>> sugar-jhbuid,
>>
>> can do in the terminal:
>>

>> xrandr -o left
>>

>> when your neck hurts, or you have finished...
>>

>> xrandr -o normal
>>

>> Gonzalo

>> Works great. Check out
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/images/c/cb/Portfolio-27.xo which support
>> rotation. But I am curious why the stop button runs off the edge... it
>> would appear there is plenty of room for it.
>>

>> Not sure if this is your issue (my land line has been down most of the day
>> and am on GSM network), but invisible separators still take space unless you
>> explicitly tell them not to:
>>
>>    separator.set_size_request(0, -1)
>>
>> So your separator factory might need a tweak. See Physics activity.py line
>> 103 for a working example.
>>
>> Regards,
>> --Gary
>>

>> -walter
>>
>> --
>> Walter Bender
>> Sugar Labs
>> http://www.sugarlabs.org
>
> I've been thinking for quite some time that we need a new approach to
> the problem of toolbar items following off the end of the toolbar This
> problem will be greatly exacerbated by the more frequent use of screen
> rotate one would expect with more use of tablet mode on XO 4.0 Touch.
> Most activities have not taken into account the potential squeezing of
> the toolbar by 25% even of they take into consideration general
> resizing of the screen due to rotation.

I know this is a tough line to take, but we should file tickets against activities that overflow in portrait orientation – that includes Physics and Calculate ;)

It is quite an effort making a complicated multi-function Activity appear simple, but letting activity developers off the hook to pile on features without keeping their UI under control seems like a loosing direction to take. Max ten icons in the toolbar (that includes the Activity toolbar icon and the Stop toolbar icon). We've had decent sub-toolbar support in Sugar for a long time now, lets make sure we prioritising that primary tool bar space and putting the less used features into secondary toolbars.

Regards,
--Gary