[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Frame Device icon Volumes

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Sun Aug 19 10:54:52 EDT 2012

On 08/19/2012 03:45 PM, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
> There are a convention about the position of the primary action?
> Should be the closest to the button or the first at top of the palette?
> I think is important have this defined, and may be show it in a special way.
> In this particular case, the option is between the label, another action and
> the widget showing the size, and is not obvious.
>
> Gonzalo

So, in this particular case, there is no primary action anymore. Left
click will always bring up the Palette, then it is up to the user to decide.

Let's look at another case: the Activity Palettes in the Frame (see
activity_palette_1.png). The primary action there is to resume the
Activity. When you click on the button that activity is resumed. The
action is drawn right below the label. That is where I would put it as
well. But in this case, I think the separator should then be drawn below
the primary option (see activity_palette_2.png).

Doing the same for the Volume Palette will look odd
(volume_palette_2.png) as we have also a separator below the 'Remove'
option as this is the Palette content (the progress bar showing how much
space is left). Three horizontal lines in one Palette is just too much.

On a related note: actually we should show the 'Show content' option in
the Volume Palette in the Journal as well. I think it is right to leave
the primary action there, clicking on the icon it is to switch views.
But the primary action should be present in the Palette as well, same as
we do in the Activity Palettes in the Frame where the primary action is
'Resume' and it is shown as well in the Palette.

Regards,
    Simon