[Sugar-devel] Unicode strings in translations

S. Daniel Francis francis at sugarlabs.org
Wed Aug 15 13:25:02 EDT 2012

2012/8/15 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
> So for example, a pure python zip compression/decompression
> implementation now needs to clearly define it is _not_ working on
> utf-8 streams.

It started when Humitos saw the Python Unicode handling at Typing Turtle.
His purpose is setup gettext for get translated data of type PyUnicode
instead of PyString. A big part of the translated messages are often
tooltips for the toolbars and other static text. You can get those
strings and set them as property of a SugarToolButton without the word
unicode in all your activity code. What TypingTurtle does, could be
well because it's a long internal work with the strings, but it isn't
the same with the big part of the translated messages.
Your example doesn't compress translated text; so get translations as
PyUnicode for that case is useless.

I see you are also looking other issues in this same thread, I'll say
+1 to all the good practices with the objective of remove the
repetitive code. Use unicode=True as argument for gettext.install
could do more short the task with TypingTurtle, but it will be more
long at other activities
.
Cheers.
~danielf