[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] higher-resolution thumbnails

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 14 09:23:00 EDT 2012

On 13 Aug 2012, at 17:38, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a proposal from the learning team regarding the resolution of
> the thumbnail images in the Journal. They'd like the thumbnails to be
> of a higher resolution, both for the detail view in the Journal and in
> the Portfolio activity. The motivation is that the current resolution
> (300x225) is not sufficient to see important details, such as the text
> in a Write document, the layout of a Mindmap (Labrynth), or the blocks
> in a Turtle Art project.
>
> The tradeoff is primarily one of storage space, although there maybe
> some potential workarounds, such as having a way to ask an activity to
> generate a thumbnail on the fly.

+1 though this is raises the question of what resolution would be good enough. Ideally we would store images at the full display resolution, and try to minimise the storage space tradeoff by being more aggressive on compression. This would also open up an option for the illusion of fast starting Activities. iOS relies on this quite heavily as you start and switch between images, you're often looking at a transition animation and the static screen shot for a number of seconds (maybe 4 or 5 in some cases) while the actual code is still starting in the background.

Regards,
--Gary