[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Proposal: Lease expiry information display in My Settings -> About My Computer

Anish Mangal anish at sugarlabs.org
Wed Aug 1 21:39:29 EDT 2012

On Thursday 02 August 2012 04:30 AM, Gary Martin wrote:

> Your probably right. IIRC the idea was to make that information visible
> alongside the Serial Number.
>
> Does it make sense to move it to Software?
>
> > I don't have a strong objection to it being in Identity, but then
again, I am not aware of many of the implementation details of the code
behind it – also likely true for most folks reading it in the field.

> > If it moves to Software, perhaps it should go below the Firmware
line? James is that more inkeeping with the implementation? The other
option is for a new Lease section below the Identity section.

> I don't want to rename the sections because this feature should only be
> visible when the lease file is actually present.
>
> > On this point, the code seems to not behave you describe above.
Testing on an XO-1, the DX3 build 143 International, I see an item in
the Identity section saying "Lease: Not available". The wording "Not
available" suggests something is missing from my XO when actually this
machine does not need a lease, and is unsecured, this line of
information should not be displayed at all to the user.

Yes, that is correct. That change will be made when the code is ported
over to mainline.

> > Regards,
> > --Gary

- --