[Sugar-devel] Nutrition Activity very effective

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 14:15:12 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 6:50 AM, David Leeming
<david at leeming-consulting.com> wrote:
> Just want to give some quick feedback from a small but active deployment in
> Papua New Guinea.
>

> Nutrition is a really great way to get teachers to see the potentials
> because in our region as (probably) in many others the primary school system
> is now using the rich task or thematic approach. You can use it to teach
> many subjects but made relevant and real for students from the context.
>

> I have just facilitated some workshops for a NGO-led deployment and this
> activity was a fantastic hook to make the potentials relevant to their
> needs.
>

> We noted that local foods can be added which is great. But we were not sure
> about one default foodstuff in the Activity, the brown chunk with holes...

Hmm. I guess my drawing skills aren't what I imaged them to be :) Are
you referring to the chocolate-chip cookie image? Or my poor attempt
at drawing rice and beans?

FWIW, I have a high school student who is doing some work on this
activity during the month of May whom is soliciting suggestions for
improvements. We've already discussed working on a better way to let
deployments customize the program to meet local needs, but exactly
what mechanism to use is still being discussed. In the short term,
simply edit the table in game.py [1] and add/remover images from the
images/ subdirectory [2].

regards.

-walter

> David Leeming